Cottonwood Cove, Lake Mohave History
Miners used Cottonwood Island to raise their stock because of the shady cottonwood trees and grasses. The Army made the island an
outpost in 1867.
In 1897, Gold was discovered in nearby Searchlight, with the first claim being known as the Duplex Mine. The Quartette Mining
Company built a 20-stamp mill on the Colorado River, and in 1901 and 1902, constructed a 16 mile narrow gauge railroad from the Quartette Mine to the mill. Railroad equipment was brought
in by barge from Needles. The locomotive carried ore to the mill and, occasionally, passengers rode down to the steamboat port. The locomotive could run on oil from Searchlight or
driftwood from the Colorado River. For safety, it was never turned, but always headed toward Searchlight. Operations of the mill and railroad stopped when a new mill was built in
Searchlight. In 1906, the river mill was relocated at Searchlight, beside the new building. The rails were sold to J. F. Kent, removed, and used on the Yellow Pine line from Jean to
Goodsprings in 1910. The foundations of the river mill is about 30 feet below the surface of Lake Mohave in Cottonwood harbor.
In the 1930's, the Homestake Mine in the Newberry Mountains operated an amalgamation and cyaniding plant on Cottonwood Island
for processing gold and silver ore. Mining operations ceased in 1953 as Davis Dam was completed. The Island is also under Lake Mohave waters.
The "Arivada" was a river boat which provided ferry service across the river from 1916 to 1920. It was located 2 1/2
miles south of Cottonwood. There was also an aerial cableway built one mile north of the present Cottonwood Cove. It transported automobiles across the river on a rickety framework. It
was said once you crossed the river to the other side, you would never come back. It was in operation until the 1930's. The "Searchlight" was a river steamer that plied the
Colorado from it's mouth as far upstream as the former town of Callville near present day Callville Bay.